Family Law Lawyers Serving Gig Harbor

The family law lawyers at Morton McGoldrick recognize that negotiating the law is stressful, particularly when it involves the personal relationships of a family. With the help of our family law lawyers, Gig Harbor and Pierce County residents get more than representation from our firm. We understand that when where children are concerned, emotions can run high. Our family law lawyers are empathetic to your position. They provide emotional support as well as invaluable counsel and representation whether you are in court, arbitration or a mediation. While a family law lawyer from our firm can handle custody and divorce matters, the area of family law expands far beyond dissolving marriages. Our team can help you with other issues pertaining to family as well.

Helping to Grow Your Family.

Non-traditional families often need the expertise of a family law lawyer. At Morton McGoldrick our team can help you navigate the laws that apply to your new family, whether it is a blended one or you are adopting. Whether you are entering a new marriage, joining two families into one, or adopting a child, our experienced family law attorneys will handle the legal issues for you, allowing you to focus on your new family, not the stresses associated with the legalities.


Our team of lawyers at Morton McGoldrick will guide you during the adoption process in order to clear legal obstacles you may face. We will prepare the necessary legal paperwork and provide you with support so that the legal adoption process is not overwhelming.

Marital Property Agreements

Sometimes people with significant wealth, whether acquired during a marriage or prior to getting married, decide that financial planning for the possibility of a failed marriage is a well advised precautionary measure. Financial disagreements can be a serious contributing factor in a failed marriage. It is often advisable to create a document that makes clear your recognition of how property will be owned and managed during your marriage, and how it will be owned and divided if that the marriage comes to an end. Whether it is a pre-nuptial agreement before vows are taken or a marital property agreement after marriage, it is essential to understand that the protections afforded by these agreements extend beyond your current financial situation and plan for the future. A family law lawyer with Morton McGoldrick can help you draft a contract that works for you and your significant other, and will be enforceable by the courts.

Third Party Custody Issues

In the unfortunate circumstance where parents are unable or unwilling to care for their children, grandparents, uncles, aunts or other relatives can seek to obtain legal custody of them. Our family law lawyers have experience helping these family members with their efforts to be the legal guardians or custodians of these children. The cases are often forcefully contested and therefore, having an experienced family law lawyer on your side, can make the difference in being successful.

Committed Intimate Relationships

Even without a marriage, breaking up can be an emotional and complex process. Some people refer to these relationships as a “common law marriage”. While Washington does not recognize common law marriages, individuals in committed intimate relationships do have certain rights that allow them to seek a court ordered division of their property. These issues involved in such cases are frequently the same as if a marriage had occurred. A family law lawyer from Morton McGoldrick can successfully represent you if you have been in a committed intimate relationship to work on your behalf to insure you are treated fairly and to obtain a favorable division of property based upon the unique circumstances of your case.

Call Us for a Family Law Lawyer Consultation Today

Don’t go to court without a trusted family law lawyer in Gig Harbor. We can vigorously and zealously represent your interests and work on your behalf towards a reasonable and fair resolution of the legal issues you face. Call (253) 655-2275 or contact us today.